Link to sitemap

In full glory the Majestic enters New York

(above) RMS Majestic sailing into New York

RMS MAJESTIC

All work completed by 1922 she was taken to United Kingdom to undergo sea trials in the Irish Sea. Further work was carried out at Belfast's Harland and Wolf --- the builders of Titanic.

Now officially named "RMS Majestic".   Also accepted as the  "Worlds Largest Ship".

By 10th May 1922 she was ready for the first run on the prestigious run Southampton>>> Cherbourg>>> New York and return.  This run was her mainstay for most of her White Star Line career.

The first Captain was indeed actually Commodore Sir Bertram Hayes.  Worth noting is that prior to his installation the rank of Commodore had been dropped by WSL -- in or around 1889.  His appointment seems not to have lasted long as in her career there were at least three other Captains --- Peter Vaughan having taken over around 1925.

Leaving Southampton on October 26th 1923 the ship broke two records.  Firstly it made the fastest crossing, in 5 days, 5 hours and 21 minutes, and secondly on one voyage it carried a total of 2,622 passengers, consisting of 475 first, 731 second and 1,416 third, one of the company's highest.   In 1925 it went on to make a crossing in 5 days at an average speed of 25 knots.

Only recorded major defect was the development of a 100 foot long crack in her hull in 1924. Fixing done in Boston USA as no dry dock was big enough in UK.   Interestingly enough at about the same time another WSL liner developed the same problem.

Postcard showing Majestic with smaller vessels alongside

Blanche Tucker, chief cashier aboard the Majestic, was the first woman to hold the british Board of Trade's certificate for lifeboat certification.

Unfortunately the Depression years (early 1930's) curtailed the Trans-Atlantic trade severely. However all was not lost and among with Titanic sister ship the Olympic she ran short week-end cruises between New York and Halifax Nova Scotia.  These short cruises were especially popular as the passengers were carried sufficiently far from the American Coast that the Prohibition laws then in vogue were not relevant so legal drinking was again available -- AT A PRICE!!

In July 1934 the ship became part of the newly formed Cunard-White Star company and replaced the Mauretania on the Southampton-New York service.   1935 the Normandie replaced it as the world's largest ship.  February 1936 it made its last voyage for Cunard and was replaced by the Queen Mary.

After this the ship was laid up at Southampton and was then sold on 15th May 1936 she was decommissioned by Cunard/White Star Line and sold primarily as scrap to Thomas W.  Ward for 115,000.00.

rare upright postcard



ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

I would like to thank the persons balow who donated pictures or details

Stephan Thorven Lucht For the use of his University Project
Ben Schumin at Schuminweb
Great Ocean Liners Pages
Cunard Archive Liverpool University